SOME PHOTOS OF OUR TRIPS TO
Michael O Flaherty at the helm as we leave Dublin Port on 21st October 2018. An extraordinarily warm day in late October. Michael recounted the full history of Dublin Port as we sailed down the River Liffey that day, from the story of building the Quay walls using dangerous underwater "caissons" to the story of Captain Blythe who petitioned for the building of the North Bull Wall and its accompanying lighthouse back in 1801. Yes, Captain Blythe went on to command "The Bounty", and the lighthouse he championed is now Poolbeg Lighthouse, behind us. Photo by FOC.
Carina and Fia at Poolbeg Lighthouse on St Patricks Day, 17th March 2019.
Michael O Flaherty alongside a Galway Hooker in Poolbeg Yacht Club. Oct 2018
Poolbeg Lighthouse is located at the end of the Great South Wall where the River Liffey flows into the Irish Sea. The original lighthouse here was built in 1768 and was remodelled into its present form in 1820. It was painted red to indicate ‘port side’ for ships entering Dublin Bay, while the North Bull Lighthouse (on the other side of the bay) was painted green to indicate ‘starboard’. Ordnance Survey Ireland adopted the low water at Poolbeg Lighthouse as its datum mark for all map levels. Photo FOC.
Night time passage up into Dublin Port. March 2018.
Photo. FOC. March 2019.
Solo passage out of Dublin Port in early March of 2018. This was our first trip out of Poolbeg Yacht Club after the winter of 2016.
Fia and Carina at Poolbeg Lighthouse. March 2019.
Joe, Callum, Derek,John Farrer, and Fia. Poolbeg Lighthouse behind . Summer 2018.
Harry Saul, Ken O Farrell, Colin Dunne, and Fia rounding Poolbeg Lighthouse en route from Greystones to Grand Canal Harbour. June 2016.